Friday, August 11, 2006

Vacation time is over... :(

I've been back for a few days now, and what with the gloomy weather and all the piled-up work, my vacation seems like a million years ago already.

The camping trip to the lake was...special. We hung out with friends of Heather's family, who are an interesting bunch. There was about, oh, I don't know, 50-ish people, I suppose, from tiny babies to grandparents and everything in between. It was an unforgettable experience!

I went tubing - in case you've never been, it's were you hang on to a huge tube and get hauled along behind a motor boat at upwards of 30 miles an hour. Lucky for me the driver was nice about it being my first tubing experience, and didn't try to make me fall off, which he did to everyone else. It was a lot of fun! Did you know that if the human body is traveling faster then 30 miles an hour, it will skim along the surface of the water like skipping a stone? Very entertaining to watch, but I'm glad it wasn't me!!!

The Sunday night there were fireworks down in Honeymoon Bay, so most of us loaded in to six boats and went down the lake. They roped all the boats together, and we listened to country music, which I found really amusing. I was getting a lot of heckling about being from Alberta, but I heard more country music that weekend then I've heard all year! The fireworks were really good, and the lake was in a valley, so the explosions reverberated all around. It was really neat.

Coming home was a little tiring - an hour layover in Vancouver, which has to be the most boring international airport in Canada. My pocket knife was confiscated at security it Victoria - I'd totally forgotten that I had it. It's a good thing I came home when I did though - it would have really sucked to get caught up in all these new security measures that have come down in the last couple of days.

Anyway, glad to be home - sort of. I missed my friends and my church and my youth (and Trevor!), but now I miss Heather and the ocean and the people I know in Victoria and the blackberry picking... It would be SO nice to have everything all in one place!

Speaking of friends, both Crew teams are coming through Calgary tomorrow night, and will actually be here for a bit of the same time, so that should be a lot of fun. Hooray for Crewbies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have a huge bruise from my hip to my knee on my left leg from our tubing experience...next time we decide to test that 30mph rule remind me NOT to volunteer to be the water-hopper! I ate a handful of blackberries for you yesterday, and said hi to the sheep.

Astley said...

Hey Hey! I found you! Now I can read about you and keep in touch with you other than those occasional gatherings :p

I heard the CREW team had fun going through Calgary. I missed them when the one came through Revelstoke....GAH! I so woulda been there had I known in time.

Oh well.

Adios!
Leah

Astley said...

Hey Hey! I found you! Now I can read about you and keep in touch with you other than those occasional gatherings :p

I heard the CREW team had fun going through Calgary. I missed them when the one came through Revelstoke....GAH! I so woulda been there had I known in time.

Oh well.

Adios!
Leah