Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Year, New Things

It's been a while! Things have gone absolutely NUTTY at work - I can't even begin to tell you... Actually, I really can't - I am bound by lawyer/client confidentiality, but suffice it to say that Christmas is apparently a breaking point for a lot of relationships on the brink...very sad... :(

I've been meaning to write a post about the New Year and what it might have in store, so I may as well do that now, while I'm here and somewhat focused!


This was my email devo I got on December 31...

This is what the Lord says, ... "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
- Isaiah 43:16,18-19

THOUGHT: The year is gone, finished, past. We cannot reclaim it or undo it. We cannot rest on the great distance it has brought us. If tomorrow dawns, it will be another day, a new opportunity, and the time to show our faith in Jesus as Lord. Let's journey forward, knowing that God already inhabits the future and promises to provide us refreshment on our journey there.

PRAYER: Lord of all eternity, please help me to learn from my mistakes this past year, but not to dwell on them. Please help me not rest on my accomplishments in this past year, but use them to further your work in me and through me. Please help me not quarrel with those who injured me yesterday, last month, or this past year.
Instead, O Father, lead me in your paths and help me see your mighty works this next year. In Jesus' name and by his power I ask it. Amen.



Christmas/my birthday/new years is a pretty introspective time for me - having three major occasions all on top of each other like that is a lot to think about. What have I done with the last year? What do I have to show for 26 years of life, anyway? This year wasn't such a crisis moment for me (not like turning 25 was, anyway...oh my, that was a hard one) - the feedback from the kids at Survivor in December really made me feel like I've done something with my life. I've grown and changed more this last year then I have in a very long time, and it was good. I really have a sense of peace about the things that last year brought.

But now I'm restless - what is going to happen next? I don't like just sitting around and watching TV, as entertaining as that is! I want to be doing something that will leave behind a legacy of God's love when I'm gone. What's God bringing along for me this year?

And I've just got itchy feet, plain and simple! On January 29th, I'll have lived in Calgary for eight years, which is a very long time for me. I've moved around a lot - I was born in Comox, and we left there for Greenwood NS when I was about three. We lived there for about 5 or 6 years, and then we moved to Halifax, where we lived for about 4 years. Then it was off to Victoria for about 4 years. So eight years is the longest I've lived in one place, and I'm really feeling the need for a change. Switching jobs last year helped a bit with the restlessness, but now that I've been there for almost a year, the novelty is wearing off, and I want to really change things up.

So we shall see where God takes me this year - I know what I want, and I'm really hoping it's what He wants! :) Here's to an eventful 2007 - may it be full of living life to the fullest and serving God wherever He takes me!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Happy 2007 Michelle!!