Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Things About Me

1. Yesterday was my 10th anniversary of living in Calgary. I moved here from Victoria in the middle of a snowstorm. When I went out the next day, my damp hair froze to my ears...definitely not something I'd experienced in Victoria!

2. I hate 'maple flavouring'. I often don't order pancakes when we go out for breakfast because I can't stand fake maple syrup. When I was a kid in Nova Scotia, we used to make our own, and I guess I got a little spoiled. :)

3. I love tea. Especially Second Cup's Earl Grey and Tim Horton's steeped tea. When I got to work today and opened my Timmy's cup, I realized they gave me a double double coffee, not tea. Sad day!!!

4. I have three floor-to-ceiling bookcases of books, and I have a big spreadsheet where I keep track of them all, especially the ones that are vintage editions. I love books!

5. In general, I don't find movie adaptations of books as good as the originals, but I think I might possibly like the recent Disney version of Prince Caspian better then the book. Mostly because CS Lewis wrote such wussy girl characters - not his fault, that's The Way Things Were, but I liked seeing Susan kick butt in the movie.

6. In 2003 I spent the summer on a VBS team, travelling around Canada on a Greyhound bus. If you ask me if I've been somewhere, often I can remember the bus depot, but not anything about the town itself.

7. My earliest memory is my first Christmas - I was just a few days away from being a year old, and I got an orange plastic tea set. I can also remember my first portrait sitting, but I'm not sure if it was before or after Christmas...I do remember thinking the photographer was crazy! Mom said he eventually gave up on trying to get me to smile.

8. When I was swimming in the Sea of Galilee last summer, a fish bit my toe and scared me half to death. I've never had that happen to me in any other body of water I've ever swam in.

9. I get excited when I think about going to Pearl Harbour, because one of my favourite Adventures in Oddessy episodes was set there.

10. My current desktop wallpaper is a shot I took of two plastic chairs watching the sun set over the Sea of Galilee.

11. I looooove to play Scrabble. Yay Scrabble! I also like Monopoly, Apples to Apples, Taboo and Balderdash.

12. I used to read the Encyclopedia Britannica for fun (the illustrated children's version, but still...)

13. Fruit is one of my favourite foods. Mandarins, pomegranates, kiwi fruit, grapefruit, watermelon, honeydew melon, plums, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes, cucumbers, tomatoes, blueberries, cantaloupe...sooo tasty!

14. My career goal used to be to open a cafe by Parliament Hill where all the MPs would come to eat lunch and gossip about politics.

15. I like to write. I write a lot. Mostly letters with big words for my boss, but also songs and stories. I have several books on the go - they always start out really well, and then I get a new idea and head off on a tangent. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get a book finished!

16. Gravy is my favourite comfort food. Gravy on potatoes, gravy on schnitzel, gravy on spatzle, gravy on bread (with meat!), gravy on meat, gravy on stuffing. Yummy!

17. When I was a teenager, I used to win blue ribbons at the country fair for my baking. My roses and my sunset photography won ribbons too.

18. Also when I was a teenager, I took French classes with a Welshman who learned to speak French in South Africa so he could teach agriculture. There was a lot of "your goat is in my hut"...

19. I parallel parked perfectly on my driving test, and haven't done it so well ever since.

20. I'm on the planning committee for the 2009 Lutheran Church Canada Alberta British Columbia District Youth Gathering. A long title for a job that involves trying to get more people involved so I can delegate stuff to them. :)

21. My favourite spot in all of Canada is Taylor Beach, in Metchosin on Vancouver Island. There are also lots of blackberries there, which also makes me very happy.

22. Trevor and I will have been married 7 years in June. That went really fast!

23. My pink and brown kitchen gives me much joy. When I get home from work, walking in the door makes me smile. I love my house!

24. I suck at Wii. Trevor's Mii does this really annoying happy dance all the time, which doesn't help. I need to play Wii with someone who's worse then me so I can boost my Mii's self esteem.

25. When I moved to Calgary, it was the first time in my whole life I'd lived somewhere landlocked. It still sucks - after 10 years I miss the ocean just as much as I did when I got here. I'm really looking forward to going to California this summer and seeing a bit of the ocean I haven't seen before.

Wow...this was really hard! Hopefully this was interesting enough that you persevered to the bottom. :)

No comments: