Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Jack the Giant Slayer


So, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Hank 'Beast' McCoy climb a giant beanstalk to rescue Princess Isabelle, King Blackbeard's daughter, from Davy Jones. They think Caesar Flickerman is on their side, but he turns out to have a hidden agenda, and chaos and shenanigans ensue.

Except for the annoying lady next to me who wouldn't stop talking, and for a couple of violent moments I could have done without, I quite enjoyed Jack. It was a good example of a lot of things I enjoy about movies; a fantasy setting, a less than prim and proper princess who has great armor, a charming love story, a wisecracking knight, a noble quest, great one-liners...and a Star Wars reference from McGregor. Classic!

It does, however, require quite a bit of willing suspension of disbelief! Like all fairy tales, there are a few plot holes. And like all fairy tales, you think you know how it's going to end, but when it got to the end, I was totally taken by surprise, and all I could think was "Moriarty!". If you do go see it, let me know if you get that reference. :)

I would not recommend taking small children...there were two particular scenes that were so icky I had to look away, plus the giants snack on people like we snack on baby carrots, so that was a bit icky as well.

I hope there's a sequel, featuring Elmont!

 
 
And in totally unrelated news, the cast of Hell on Wheels is beginning to arrive in Calgary, with season 3 scripts in hand. Eeeeeee! Filming doesn't start until April 24, but I guess they wanted to catch our snowy weather!
(Sorry, it looks like you have to click on the little links to view the photos...I'm just figuring out how to use Storify!)

No comments: