Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monty Python Sketches

And now for something completely different.

In December I introduced a friend to Monty Python’s Holy Grail, which is probably the most quotable movie of all time. Monty Python is something that’s grown on me as an adult – when I first encountered it in my late teens I was too dignity-conscious to be entertained by it.
 
Now, however, I enjoy Monty Python far more than any of the comedy that modern Hollywood is churning out. We’ve been watching our way through the entire works of the tv show Monty Python’s Flying Circus, and each episode is basically as collection of various sketches, which may or may not be connected in any way. Since they were made in England before I was born, most of the political references go right over my head, but there are lots of sketches I really enjoy.
 
I was trying to think of an easy way to ease the uninitiated into the Flying Circus, so I thought I’d start with ten of my favourite sketches, which are also generally accepted as classics, and from there YouTube should lead you down a rabbit hole of Monty Python. J
 
Keep in mind that Monty Python is VERY SILLY and should not be taken literally or seriously in any way.
 
 
Fish Slapping Dance

 
The Spanish Inquisition

 
My Hovercraft is Full of Eels

 
Spam (make sure you read the credit reel!)

 
Ministry of Silly Walks

 
Dead Parrot and Lumberjack Song

 
How to Defend Yourself Against Fruit

 
Agatha Christie

 
Argument Clinic

 
This is your captain speaking...

 
 
 
Other notable sketches include: The Upper Class Twit of the Year, How Not To Be Seen, Funniest Joke in the World, Crunchy Frog, Fish Licence, Bruce, Exploding Penguin, Vocational Guidance Counsellor, Buying a Mattress, Nudge Nudge...and so on. Enjoy! Be sure to let me know what your favourite is...
 
 

No comments: